Wednesday, February 6, 2013

RPS Food and Culture

Imagine a community where people have origins from all over the world, Italy, Britain, Spain, China, Ireland, India, Africa, Korea, and Germany etc. It is pretty diverse right? And now, think of the food they eat, how different can that be! But since I am focusing on the RPS community, (and let’s be honest, no matter what we eat here, it’s American,) I am going to tell particularly about the food made at the dinning commons.
Personally, I think the food here is fine. What I mean by fine is a 5 or 6 out of 10. It offers a variety of food, and when I say variety, I mean a variety among different cultures. You may see Spanish Tacos one day, or Chinese stir-fried tofu, or typical American burgers and fries. I know they tried hard, but as a Chinese myself, all the Chinese style food I had here were “American-Chinese food”—either too sweet or too plain. In general, they are not real Chinese, at least not the kind of food I would eat everyday at home. But there is one thing I find most familiar with, the soup. Not because they make fantastic soup, but there are a few spices in the soup that can always remind me of home.
I know someone who is not a big fan of the “American-Chinese” food here. And the way she deals with it is to make herself something Chinese with what she can find at the dining commons. One thing is to put soy source on the eggs. Honestly, I have never tried that. But she said that’s one of her favorite ways to eat eggs back in China, so I guess that’s something real Chinese. Another food that seems to be Chinese for me is the fish. I don’t know why most Americans don’t like fish (they think it’s gross). But frankly, you can find a fish dish on almost every dinner table in China. 

No comments:

Post a Comment